Insights from Professional Data Destruction Experts
Plagued by hacks, malware, ransomware attacks, and phishing attacks, healthcare is the most targeted sector for data breaches and information security issues. Since medical records contain heaps of sensitive information that is invaluable to fraudsters and cybercriminals, they continue to devise newer methods to access such records. This is one of the reasons for the stringent regulations and privacy protection laws applicable to the healthcare sector and its allied businesses. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is one such regulation that aims for patient privacy and confidentiality, and touches almost all aspects of the data lifecycle in this sector. Remaining compliant with HIPAA means ensuring the highest level of security in collection, storage, and disposal of all types of physical and digital medical records.
At TITAN Mobile Shredding, we provide industry-specific shredding solutions to a wide range of large and small businesses in and around Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. Our certified data destruction specialists stay abreast of all the applicable regulations and help clients in the operational aspects of information preservation or permanent destruction.
Read on for some useful information pertaining to HIPAA compliant medical record shredding.
Everything You Should Know about Remaining HIPAA Compliant
- What is the Objective of HIPAA? Essentially, HIPAA holds businesses accountable for the proper handling of the patients’ PHI, i.e. their person health information and individually identifiable health data. Since it is at the heart of HIPAA’s privacy and security provisions, anyone associated with the healthcare sector should understand all aspects of PHI.
- Which Entities Must Comply with HIPAA? Any businesses that directly collect or manage PHI or share such information with a HIPAA-covered entity need to comply with HIPAA’s guidelines on patient confidentiality. The most common entities include:
- Doctor’s offices, dental clinics, nursing homes, hospitals, laboratories
- Home healthcare agencies, senior care centers
- Psychologists, psychiatrists, physiotherapists, chiropractors
- Pharmacies, healthcare clearing houses, insurance companies
- Government agencies or any other entities or professionals involved in healthcare
- What does Compliance with HIPAA entail? HIPAA’s Privacy Rule defines the national standards for protecting PHI. HIPAA’s Security Rule provides the physical, technical, and administrative guidelines for implementing and safeguarding those national standards.
- What are the Consequences of Non-compliance with HIPAA? Failure to meet HIPAA provisions on PHI protection could lead to hefty fines, legal action, and a negative impact on your business or agency branding. Penalties include:
- Fines of $100 to $5,000 for every involuntary or accidental violation
- Fines of $10,000 to $50,000 in case of willful neglect
- Criminal proceedings and jail time for certain severe violations
- Why is Shredding a Critical Aspect of HIPAA Compliance? The definition of PHI includes health information in verbal, written, and electronic medium. Although you may set up the best safeguards during collection, processing, or storage of such physical or digital records, secure disposal of the redundant information is equally important. Partnering with a HIPAA compliant professional shredding company has numerous benefits.
- Robust mechanisms that ensure HIPAA compliance and prevent information leakage throughout the destruction process, including materials pickup, transportation, and shredding.
- Options for on-site shredding services that allow you to witness the destruction process and get additional peace of mind.
- Time and cost savings, since you do not need to allocate in-house resources or infrastructure for the safe disposal of paper records or other materials containing PHI.
As a NAID AAA Certified company, TITAN Mobile offers mobile shredding services to a wide range of healthcare establishments. In addition to safe and meticulous destruction of paper records, hard drives, and digital media, we also offer specialized plant-based shredding services for proper disposal of x-rays, diskettes, plastic prescription pill bottles, and other non-regulated medical waste. Whether it is locked bins for collecting the records, rigorous background checks of our staff, or state-of-the-art surveillance and equipment at our shredding facilities, we implement the highest standards of safety, before, during, and after the shredding process. Upon completion of shredding, we issue Certificates of Destruction, which serve as valid proof of permanent and safe record disposal during future audits or legal queries.
Count on us for cost-effective medical records shredding services, backed by professional expertise, industry-focused solutions, and unparalleled customer service. Call TITAN Mobile at (866) 848-2699 or contact us online to discuss your requirements with our data destruction specialists.