Advice from Your Professional Paper Shredding Company
Corporate data breaches have recently made headline news, affecting several businesses around the globe. Today, digital and hard copy information is especially vulnerable to theft as the hacking techniques of criminals become increasingly sophisticated. As a result, it is important to be aware of bad work habits that put your data at risk. With practice, these habits are easy to reverse and will strengthen the security of your workplace. To ensure your information remains confidential, trust a professional paper shredding company for reliable, affordable, and efficient document destruction.
5 Work Habits that Put Your Data at Risk
It is important to take the proper precautions at your workplace to prevent criminals from accessing critical and confidential information. Here are 5 seemingly innocent work habits that may put your corporate and personal data at risk:
- Using Easy Passwords: Passwords often require a combination of characters and may be easy to forget, especially if you use multiple accounts. Unfortunately, using the same password across accounts will put your corporate data at risk. Separate your personal and corporate account passwords. Ensure that each contains at least 9 characters that combine upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Leaving Your Work Exposed: At the end of the workday, employees may be in a hurry to leave the office. In the rush, documents can get left behind on desks to be worked on the following day. However, this habit may give criminals an opportunity for visual hacking or physical theft. Train employees to tidy their desks before leaving the workplace and encourage the use of locked file cabinets and desk drawers.
- Opening Email Attachments: If you come across an email from an unfamiliar source, do not open any files that may be attached. Commonly known as phishing emails, criminals will use these as a gateway to steal sensitive information such as passwords, credit card information, and more. Learn how to identify phishing scams and immediately discard emails that look suspicious.
- Using Personal Devices for Work: Avoid accessing corporate data from an unsecured internet network or personal device. Regardless of how strong your security backup is, hackers can easily find their way into your system if you connect to public Wi-Fi networks. Provide your employees with a strong security policy and only encourage work to be done within a secured network.
- Careless Disposal of Paper Documents: Your data is not only vulnerable online but you are also at risk if you carelessly discard confidential documents before shredding. Failure to do so will give fraudsters an opportunity to dig through your disposal units to steal sensitive information. A professional paper shredding company can help you destroy both digital and hard copy files through safe and reliable practices.
Choose a trusted NAID AAA Certified company to address your paper and digital media shredding needs. Call TITAN Mobile Shredding and speak to our data destruction professionals at (866) 848-2699 today or contact us online to request a free quote.